There are few luxury items as accessible as luxury cars. In a class of their own though are the Super Cars of the mega-rich. These high performance cars are super fast, super sexy, and super expensive. Here are ten of the most expensive cars of 2009.
1. Bugatti Veyron – $1,700,000 – The elegant and sleek Veyron is a modern supercar which suggests the glamour of the 1920’s, with its carefully planned and executed two tone paint schemes. With its 16-cylinder four-wheel drive, the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 may well be the most sophisticated production vehicle of all times. It is the fastest accelerating car in the world, reaching 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, and is the second fastest car in the world, boasting a maximum speed of 253 mph per hour. The Veyron is unmatched in the super sports category. http://www.bugatti.com
2. Lamborghini Reventon – $1,600,000 – The most expensive Lamborghini ever built was inspired by the F22 Fighter jet and the Murciélago LP640. Named for the famous fighting bull Reventon, this is one of the most exclusive super cars in the world. Only 20 were produced, making it a super-exclusive status symbol, as well as one of the highest performing cars ever created. The engine hood is made of glass laminate with open ventilation slits which offer just a glimpse of the large 6.5-liter V12 engine. The Reventon delivers 650 horse-power and 487 pound-feet of torque. It takes 3.3 seconds to reach 60 mph and it has a top speed of 211 mph. http://www.lamborghini.com
3. Maybach 62 S Landaulet – $1,380,000 – This spacious Maybach is the ultimate luxury “saloon” automobile. It has the most powerful Maybach engine ever, with a twin-turbocharged Maybach V12 power plant with a displacement of six liters delivering 604 horse-power. It accelerates from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and has a top speed of 155 mph. This car is more about luxury and passenger comfort than speed, which is why Maybach compares it to “a business jet on wheels.” http://www.maybachusa.com
4. Pagani Zonda F – $695,000 – With a limited production of ten cars a year by an independent Italian car manufacturer, this car is as exclusive as it is fast – currently the fifth fastest in the world. It’s 7.3L V12 engine produces 650 horse-power. It takes 3.5 seconds to reach 60 mph, with a top speed of 215 plus mph. http://www.paganiautomobili.it
5. – $650,000 – This sleek Swedish produced car is the third fastest in the world. The 4.7L V8 Twin Turbocharged engine has an output of 806 horse-power. It can top speeds of 245 mph. Due to its lightweight carbon fiber composite body and chassis, the CCX edition is unmatched by any car in terms of power-to-weight ratio, aerodynamic balance, down force and chassis stiffness. It has fantastic drivability and ability to absorb uneven road surfaces like no other supercar. Each car is created specifically for its owner, and each one is a work of art. http://www.koenigsegg.com
6. Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Roadster – $495,000 –This is the fastest accelerating “automatic” transmission car in the world. The body and shell are made entirely from high-strength carbon fiber composites, and it has a Formula 1 inspired arrow-shaped nose and twin-fin front spoiler. It has a hand built 5.4L V8 Supercharged engine with 617 horse-power. It can accelerate to 60 mph in just 3.8 seconds, with a top speed of 206 mph. http://www.mbusa.com
7. SSC Ultimate Aero TT – $485,000 – The fastest street legal car in the world, with a top speed of 257 mph, it can reach 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Powered by a proprietary twin turbo V-8 producing a staggering 1183 bhp and an earth shaking 1094 lbs/ft of torque, the Ultimate Aero TT is the most powerful production car in the world. Less expensive and faster than the more expensive cars in the list, if your need is speed the SSC is the car for you. It is estimated that only 25 of this exact model will be produced. http://www.shelbysupercars.com/
8. Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe – $407,000 – The Rolls Royce brand is synonymous with luxury. The Phantom Drophead Coupe is the latest in the long tradition of hand – built, four seat, two door Rolls-Royce Convertibles. Each one is hand-built to order, so it can be completed to its owner’s unique specifications. From the choice of exterior color to interior leather, canvas hood or a wide range of options including J-Class-yacht-inspired teak decking and a brushed steel bonnet – you don’t just buy a Rolls-Royce you commission it, like a piece of fine art or a super yacht. It has a 6.75L V12 engine with 453 horse-power. It accelerates from 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, and has a top speed of 150 mph. http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com
9. Bentley Brooklands Coupe – $340,000 – A luxurious car with a much smaller price tag than the custom built super cars, the Bentley is an excellent choice for those not wanting to sacrifice quality. Inspired by the exploits of the ‘Bentley Boys’ at the famous Brooklands racetrack in the 1920’s, the new Bentley Brooklands captures all the style, power and splendor of that era. It’s a grand touring coupé with classic British proportions and a strictly limited lifetime production of 550 cars. The power under the hood is also one of a kind. It has a 6.8L V8 engine with 530 horse-power. It can accelerate from 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and reaches a top speed of 184 mph. http://www.bentleymotors.com
10. Gumpert Apollo – $318,000 – Just because it is at the bottom of the list, don’t dismiss the Apollo. It is a technical masterpiece that is the perfect synthesis of a road vehicle and a track car, with maximum safety in accordance with the 74 international motor racing standards. And even though it is a production car, each one is customized to its owner’s wishes with several options available including air conditioning, navigation radio with DVD/CD Player, rear facing camera with rear-view mirror function, carbon fiber customization for various components and an optional carbon rear wing and engine variants. The Gumpert Apollo has a 4.2L V8 Twin Turbocharged engine with an output of 650 Hp. It can accelerate from 0-60 in 3.0 seconds and reach a top speed of 224 mph. www.gumpert.de
Pricing and specifications are subject to verification with an authorized dealer, and may vary due to availability and options.